Time for 5.0

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
Stutgrtguy

Time for 5.0

Post by Stutgrtguy »

You guys all know that with us, semi-modding Mikes work, we are very close to just posting a Version 5....Mike is AWOL for several years now, I wouldnt see an issue with it.. Ive tried email too many times, I know phil has also. As an amateur modder I know if something has happened, he would want his work to live on. Lets let it live on!

Food for thought

This thread is for all the mods that would be included, ie: lock times, colors on results pages, themes, email, autocomplete, SQl version etc etc

Lets post a version 5 that is complete up to this point!

If it comes down to it, its a free download from Mike, copyrighted, we mod it, keep it free and life is good. Lets do it People :)

Time for V5
Stutgrtguy

Re: Time for 5.0

Post by Stutgrtguy »

Player Contact page

21 game schedule (DB sensitive)/includes playoffs and Superbowl - fight to the end...thats my mod i never posted because its labor intensive, but it works for us I could include a db that does 21 if they wish it that way, otherwise do the 17

The survivor mod on the front page, was nice n we use

Lost password on login also
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

well no feedback so how about a separate download which will include all mods, get new users up to date, or old users close to having the site back to norm after a catastrophe.
kingmullet

Post by kingmullet »

WOuld love this!
holgar

Post by holgar »

I would like to add... update to HTML 5 or something that changes based on screen size. A majority of my league (not running it this year) asked for a mobile version when I asked them what they'd like to see change. The other MAJOR change would be enabling the site to run on a LAMP server (installed on something like a raspberry pi). Then all these hosting changes, charges, etc would be solved. Rpi + a little router updates and you have a 'free' hosting solution!
dwhitaker

Post by dwhitaker »

Yes I would like to see the next version in a responsive-design html5 so it would be more mobile friendly. Something I have wanted to do but haven't found the time over the last two summers. Contact me if a serious effort is ever mounted and help is needed.
mb323

Post by mb323 »

Agreed it is time for 5.0, how many developers do we have? I have debated just rewriting the whole thing from scratch, but as dwhitaker says, it's hard to find the time.

While I am not opposed to LAMP, PHP is a PITA to code, most PHP frameworks are limited and you have to code your security model from scratch. Also I wouldn't limit a new pool to just one DB server. Unless you have over 100 users, SQLite3 should work just fine and saves the trouble of setting up a DB server. But if you prefer using MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, Oracle... etc, that should be supported. The easiest way to accomplish all of these without reinventing the wheel is to use a framework. Laravel is a good framework for PHP. JS has some good options like Angular. I would stay away form React. Django is a good solid framework with security model and admin console built right in and supports multiple databases right out of the gate.

I'm good with what ever framework and language, it's time to get rid of classic ASP, way beyond time to get rid of Access and time to move to a cheaper platform.

We could mod this platform to allow the fixing of scheduling errors and make it easier to import a new schedule from the website... but we would still be stuck with IIS, ASP, Access....

Any votes? PHP, Node.js, Python, Ruby, JavaScript, Angular, Django, Bootstrap4? Framework?
holgar

Post by holgar »

Although I'm not a coder... I'm a weekend warrior and comfortable tweaking code (not the greatest at writing it from scratch) and do so daily as an IT program manager.

What's the preferred way of collaborating? I threw together a github page... happy to use something else but at least that can get us started.

https://github.com/holgardk/Football5

Also... we had this thread from a while back: http://philwojo.com/ASP_Football_Forum_ ... ?f=6&t=406 with additional ideas.
angularvelocity

Post by angularvelocity »

YES
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

holgar wrote:Although I'm not a coder... I'm a weekend warrior and comfortable tweaking code (not the greatest at writing it from scratch) and do so daily as an IT program manager.

What's the preferred way of collaborating? I threw together a github page... happy to use something else but at least that can get us started.

https://github.com/holgardk/Football5

Also... we had this thread from a while back: http://philwojo.com/ASP_Football_Forum_ ... ?f=6&t=406 with additional ideas.
Well I'm guessing during the offseason we put together all the mods we have, compile em, zip...is a good start?
I'm kinda a joker when it comes to coding, but I manage. I just think about people new to the program, must be rough.
I definatly wouldnt want to make the project be huge...think of government shutting down. more something we can mange in the upcoming months.
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

I'm thinking, to start, post thread links to mods we use. such as password reset, colors on results page etc. Then go from there.

be sure to post what mod it is, with a link.
Remember this is gonna be an add-on to Mikes work, so it's basically just adding features.

My site is so Modded I don't even know where to start. Tidbits of code here n there, menus added etc, its a mess. As I'm sure everyone elses is, thats why we need this
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

Actually we need to start with all the additions that "NEED" to be added. Lets make a list.
Ima start with.

Password reset
Colors on results page
Lock times
Auto update - not sure what page that was but damn wicked
survivor status on login
liqks

Post by liqks »

I paid someone 800 to create the mobile design. They did a great job. Perhaps there are a few poeple willing to pay a portion for the code?
jhronesz

Post by jhronesz »

liqks, would you be able to post a link to your page so I can look at it? I might be interested in donating to your cause if you were willing to share.
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

Yea can we see some screenshots? Does this solve the apple issue that everyone has? All my apple people cant pick on their phone, I think it has to do with the java.
Id sure be willin to donate!
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

I would imagine I could get all 20 of my group to pitch in $5 each thats a quick hundred. Love to see some screenies and know if it cures our Iphone/Ipad dilemmas.
Russaholic

Post by Russaholic »

I'd donate as well!!
liqks

Post by liqks »

check out shineboxpools.com
i have mobile version here and many mods.

inv code 2018
kingmullet

Post by kingmullet »

Really cool, I like the default pick and cell number options. Would you be willing to share the code?
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

Love it! So does the code support our own databases, and mods/coding we have done to personalise our sites?
Or would the mobile version be a different addy? a little confused...
I'd definately paypal you a fast $100
DesertDog

Post by DesertDog »

Following....
lurkmaster1

Post by lurkmaster1 »

Im willing to chip in as well, liqks. Im ready for an updated version.

..hopefully we can get a mySQL version in the future.
DesertDog

Post by DesertDog »

lurkmaster1 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:06 pm Im willing to chip in as well, liqks. Im ready for an updated version.

..hopefully we can get a mySQL version in the future.
Anyone here from liqks?
lurkmaster1

Post by lurkmaster1 »

I havent... but still hopeful. :)
DesertDog

Post by DesertDog »

liqks wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:01 am I paid someone 800 to create the mobile design. They did a great job. Perhaps there are a few poeple willing to pay a portion for the code?
Is this still happening? is anyone going to pitch in on this?