Link to "Spread Backwards?"

Message board links from 2010 as taken from the Internet Wayback Machine pages.
admin
Site Admin

Link to "Spread Backwards?"

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

Re: Link to "Spread Backwards?"

Post by admin »

09-08-2009 7:50 PM
ericwikman
Top 25 Contributor
Joined on 09-08-2009
Posts 6

Spread Backwards?
Reply Contact

I thought the traditional method of listing a point spread was to display it from the perspective of the home team? So -3 means home team favored by 3.
09-08-2009 8:18 PM In reply to
mikehall
Top 10 Contributor
Joined on 08-09-2009
Chandler, AZ
Posts 303

Re: Spread Backwards?
Reply Contact

I've seen it done every way, home, visitor or often both (visitor +3, home -3). Math geek that I am, I went with the left-to-right reading (so it displays something like Titans 17 +3 @ Pittsburgh 21).

You could change it if you want. The biggest thing you'd have to remember to do is update the SetGameResults function (in includes/common.asp) and SetPlayoffsGamesResults function (in includes/playoffs.asp) to add the point spread to the home team's score rather than the visitor's score so the "against the spread" winner is correct.
09-09-2009 8:02 PM In reply to
ericwikman
Top 25 Contributor
Joined on 09-08-2009
Posts 6

Re: Spread Backwards?
Reply Contact

I did end up changing it, but I went ahead and kept it the same in the column you have and then added a column on the far right that shows the value * (-1). I also ended up adding it to the survivor pool per a request from on of the pool members. I didn't want to mess with entering it in different then you are expecting in case I missed some logic somewhere that made it cause another issue.

Thanks for all your hard work on the pool, I've used an older version heavily modified since 2000 I think, and this is the first year that I've dumped my fork and gone back to your version which has improved greatly. I hope to post most of the modifications I make this year to the forum to contribute back.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)