Config Files Not Updating on Server

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
bobl499

Config Files Not Updating on Server

Post by bobl499 »

I am having a problem with the Config file not "taking" when I upload to the server. I am using GoDaddy as my host. I have been able to make a few changes to it a couple weeks ago, no problem. Now when I go to change the invitation code, update the Weekly Entry Fee, etc the file will not update on the server. No matter what I do it reverts back to the original file that was loaded a couple weeks ago. I was on the phone with GoDaddy for a couple hours and they can't find anything on their side that would cause this problem. Here is what they say: "Ok...so they have checked the server itself -- there has not be any recent updates or security policy -- they have checked to make sure the permissions and IIS which are correct on the hosting account --- nothing has has changed on the hosting or server--- they advised to review the scripting and possible the access database"

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!
philwojo

Re: Config Files Not Updating on Server

Post by philwojo »

Scripting and the database would have nothing to do with editing or FTP'ing (uploading) a file to your web site.

I don't have an ASP site, so I don't know permission stuff for that, I have a friend that hosts for me and he does all that setup part of it for me as well.

Check to make sure your directory and your file are writeable and not locked in any way, that sure sounds like what it is.

How to you upload your files? Do you use an online web based access provided by godaddy or do you use an external FTP program?

phil
bobl499

Post by bobl499 »

Thanks Phil, I'll give that a look. I use FileZilla to FTP the files to the GoDaddy server and I have tried the GoDaddy File Manager that they provide with the hosting. Have had the problem with both.
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

OK, I prefer Filezilla as well, was just wondering what you were using.

Do you get a DENY message in Filezilla, if so can you post what that is saying.
bobl499

Post by bobl499 »

No, no deny errors. I changed the permissions and it's still not updating, strange.
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

I'm stumped as I don't know the permission stuff on ASP pages, sorry, hopefully someone else can help you out or have some ideas at least.

Phil
bobl499

Post by bobl499 »

I had Godaddy double check the write permissions, all appears to be good now, thanks!
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

So, are you saying that the write permissions were incorrect and GoDaddy changed/updated them for you? Or that they checked them and couldn't find anything wrong?

phil
bobl499

Post by bobl499 »

They changed them to include write permissions.
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

Thanks for the update.

Phil