Set Point Spreads Auto-magically!

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
holgar

Set Point Spreads Auto-magically!

Post by holgar »

Has anyone figured this out yet? I've been using football locks . com to get the data manually and input it into the site, but it seems like there has to be an easier way! Does anyone know where the data is available in a better format (like an API vs. a screen scrape)?

Would be hugely helpful (I only use the lines for guidance so having them be dynamic doesn't matter - some others may want to lock them at a certain point).
Stutgrtguy

Re: Set Point Spreads Auto-magically!

Post by Stutgrtguy »

i use football locks also, and manually insert. thursday i lock em . this would be a nice mod but would ts=ake some java coding im guessing?
holgar

Post by holgar »

I built a spreadsheet that I can copy footballlocks table, paste it in the spreadsheet. Paste in the weeks 'set point spreads' sheet and it matches up the spreads and changes the (-) to (+) where needed. I didn't make it fool proof as I built it for a quick tool and was never meant to help others... if you know a little excel its easy to understand what's going on. Use the simplespread file, the other one has a bunch of random stuff in it as I try and figure out how to convert FootballLocks to something the schedule table can handle (need some help there).
Attachments
SpreadLoaderNotes.zip
(38.29 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
HZass

Post by HZass »

I am working on a fully automated version that will take the information from the footballlocks website and populate the website with point spreads. I hope to have this finished within the next few days. I had a version; but there waqs a problem if you tried to update point spreads after the Thursday night game.
Last edited by HZass on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HZass

Post by HZass »

THIS PROGRAM NEEDS SOME MORE TESTING....A NEW VERSION TO BE RELEASED SHORTLY
jhronesz

Post by jhronesz »

I really hope you can get it to work HZass. It would be great!
HZass

Post by HZass »

Attached please find two files. One contains the compiled program, UpdatePointSpreads and the other contains the c# source files for use with Visual Studio 2010.

The program requires that you modify the UpdatePointSpread.exe.config file to update the connection string with the properties describing your particular database.

The program takes the information from the http://www.footballlocks website and generate entries for the schedule table in the ASP Football database. The program is a "console " application the prompts you through the process. Note that there is a capability for you to test the conversion, by entering the word TEST or test as requested. If the run is a test the results will only be printed to the command window with no changes to your database. There lets you verify the program will operate correctly. If you are satisfied with the results, you can respond to the prompt with any response, except TEST or test and the results will be posted to your database.

It has NOT be tested for use after if the Monday Night game has been played. I will be working on this. But it will work at any other time.

Program updated September 26 to reflect changes made to the footballlocks display source code.

Please let me know if you experience issues with this program.
Attachments
UpdatePointSpreadProgram.zip
This is the computer program. Unzip to your C Drive and execute.
(7.23 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
UpdatePointSpreads.zip
This zip file contains the program C# source files for use with Visual Studio 2010
(124.96 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by HZass on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
holgar

Post by holgar »

This is great! I'm going to try and run this when i get home on my test box.

Just to be clear, this needs to be executed locally (and not part of a 'loader' program like the scoring update feature). Correct?
HZass

Post by HZass »

Yes, that is correct. It is not part of the ASP FootballPool application.