Blocker users from a pool (survivor vs. pickem)

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
holgar

Blocker users from a pool (survivor vs. pickem)

Post by holgar »

Hey Everyone,
This year I'm capping the number of pickem players to 30 people. I had more than that last year and there were too many ties for my liking.

The way I run my pool is everyone pays upfront for the season and must play each week. Also, everyone playing in the pickem is also required to play in the survivor pool. With the cap this year, I want to allow people not able to get into the pickem pool to still enter the survivor pool.

Is there a way to disable the pickem pool for a user but enable the survivor? I assume it would involve adding a flag in the user profile that the pick entry page (and banner menu) looks for? Has anyone done this?

Thanks
lurkmaster1

Re: Blocker users from a pool (survivor vs. pickem)

Post by lurkmaster1 »

This would be really nice if there were a way to limit which pools a user could access.

We have people that are in both pickem and survivor. Others are just in survivor. And then a few that are just in pickem. So, limiting access would eliminate any picks made in the wrong pool.
raider_nation

Post by raider_nation »

I think that will require some re-coding of several pages.

I know this isn't the optimal solution but you could set up 2 different sites. One just for survivor and one just for pick'em. I only run a survivor pool and removed all links\ref to the pick'em pool so users don't get confused.
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

I would love this! Atm I have the "survivor pool" on the drop down menu in bright yellow, and rest white - to avoid confusion, but we always get some tag alongs that wanna "try for free"

I feel bad editing in a loss so i let em go, but it gets confusing for me now.
jhronesz

Post by jhronesz »

I have something like this because I run a playoffs in the weekly pool after week 13. Any user not in the playoffs would still need access to the survivor pool if they are still alive. I'll have to remember how my coding works. If I can figure it out again (I wrote it several years ago), I'll share.
kingmullet

Post by kingmullet »

Stutgrtguy wrote:I would love this! Atm I have the "survivor pool" on the drop down menu in bright yellow, and rest white - to avoid confusion, but we always get some tag alongs that wanna "try for free"

I feel bad editing in a loss so i let em go, but it gets confusing for me now.
How do you change the color of that specific menu item? I know there is a style defined for it, do you make a new one?
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

In reply to KingMullett -

in the includes folder/menu.asp.
find

Code: Select all

[   %	if ENABLE_SURVIVOR_POOL or ENABLE_MARGIN_POOL then %>
				<td>
					<a href="#" onclick="return false;"><% = SidePoolTitle %> Pool <span class="arrow">&#9660;</span></a>
					<div class="subMenu">
						<a href="sideEntry.asp">Entry Form</a>
						<a href="sideStandings.asp">Standings</a>
						<div class="separator"></div>   ]
then change to -

Code: Select all

[   %	if ENABLE_SURVIVOR_POOL or ENABLE_MARGIN_POOL then %>
<td>
<a href="#" onclick="return false;"><span style="color: #ffff00;"><% = SidePoolTitle %> Pool <span class="arrow">&#9660;</span></a>
					<div class="subMenu">
						<a href="sideEntry.asp"><span style="color: #ffff00;">Entry Form</a></span>
						<a href="sideStandings.asp"><span style="color: #ffff00;">Standings</a></span>
						<div class="separator"></div>   ]
that will turn all of the menu for survivor yellow