Survivor pool - 2nd half season

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
juanbond

Survivor pool - 2nd half season

Post by juanbond »

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to start up a second survivor pool for the second half of the season starting in week 9? I was looking to not have to set up a whole new site if possible since people are already signed up. I didn't know if there was something in the setup already, but the second chance pool didn't seem like the answer since I wan'ted to start a new pool resetting everyone to have all teams available. Would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks in advance
philwojo

Re: Survivor pool - 2nd half season

Post by philwojo »

I ran in to this last year and could not find away, I just created a 2nd pool on a new sub-directory on my site and made sure all the data file was renamed so it didn't conflict with my main pool. I then created a new "menu" item to display in the main pool that had a link to the 2nd SURV pool in it.

If someone else knows of a way I'd love to hear how to do it though.

Phil
juanbond

Post by juanbond »

Thanks Phil, that's kind of what I thought. That would require people to sign up again with new accounts, correct? I was hoping to keep everyone's accounts in tact with their current account balances, but doesn't sound like it would work that way.
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

That is correct, they would have to signup again.

One thought is that you could copy the data file, rename it and put it on the new site and then see if that will allow you to start up a 2nd pool that way. You would probably have to open up the data file in MS Access and clean out any references to past games, but leave the user data alone. You could always try and play with that and see if it works or not. Again, just put it in a new directory and rename the data file so you don't corrupt your main pool.

Phil
juanbond

Post by juanbond »

Thanks again, I'll give that a try.
holgar

Post by holgar »

Has anyone done a more elegant solution? With NO and MIA loss this week, it looks like my survivor pool is already coming to a close (35 people pool!). I still have the weekly running but wanted to do another buy-in for another side pool...

Any ideas? I guess I could duplicate the code, increment the functions and table names by 1 and then add it to the menu? Would hate to do this with un-tested code however!
juanbond

Post by juanbond »

I've been looking for a solve for this too. My survivor pool suffered the same fate. Since this time it is an early end and only week 2, I might just activate the re-buy option and let people buy back in. It's just that the prize total from the original pool will still be there. I might manually adjust that once people are in and made their pick.

Was wondering what would happen if I enabled the configuration file now to start in week 3:
'Starting week of the side pool.
const SIDE_START_WEEK = 3

Didn't know if that would blow things up or just not work. If anyone knows, let me know.
holgar

Post by holgar »

I got crazy lucky... everyone got knocked out, meaning that everyone is back in! The colts loss yesterday saved me.

Would still like to know how to do this as people have asked in the past to do a second have of the season survivor (but possibly ATS to make it harder).
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

holgar wrote:I got crazy lucky... everyone got knocked out, meaning that everyone is back in! The colts loss yesterday saved me.

Would still like to know how to do this as people have asked in the past to do a second have of the season survivor (but possibly ATS to make it harder).

Me too! half our pool had New Orleans, and the rest had baltimore and miami...what a stroke of luck..lol
jhronesz

Post by jhronesz »

We had 60 people in and only 2 left after the 2nd week! I think a way that would work is to delete the side picks from the access table and set the start week as stated earlier to a specific week (like week 5). I think that would work.