Query on set up this project on local pc

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
Vincent

Query on set up this project on local pc

Post by Vincent »

Hi guys,

I am new to this ASP football and forum, and I have some silly question to ask if you could bear with me...

I want to set up the ASP football on my local pc and I couldn't seem manage to do that.
I have downloaded the whole project, unzipped it to my local drive. I have also read the setup instruction on the Config file.
In my case, I think I don't need to change anything in the Config file as I want it run with all default value.
Hence I was trying to open the default.asp file in IE, hoping to see it works similar to the demo.
But the page couldn't be displayed. Thr err msg is: The website cannot display the page.

May I know how could I set up this on my local drive? I seem can't see such question in this forum, do you guys are all putting the project on internet directly?
Sorry if my question is stupid, as I am totally new to setting up website. Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

Vincent
philwojo

Re: Query on set up this project on local pc

Post by philwojo »

You would need to setup your PC to be an .ASP Web server to do that, which wouldn't be that easy to do. Why don't you want it on the Internet how does it do you any good having only on your PC, no one else but you can get on your PC.

Phil
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reply. As you know I am quite new to this, I would like to try it on my PC first, to have a better understanding of it before I put it on the internet.
I forgot to mention that I have installed the IIS and put the folder in wwwroot, however, still no luck.

I understand that it wouldn't be easy to setup my pc to be an .ASP web server, which is also why I want to learn that.
It will be great if you could share any tutorial on that? Is it possible to use IIS to do the set up, or I will need to use Apache?

Again, thank you for your help! at least I know this forum is still alive. :D

Vincent
philwojo

Post by philwojo »

I am sorry I can't help in that area, I would personally just use an internet site and just don't give out the website until you are ready. There are free web hosting options out that that support .ASP, find one and try it on there.

phil
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

ok. thanks for the advice. I will try to find one. if anyone else has other advice, please let me know!

Vincent
6burgh

Post by 6burgh »

Are you able to connect to your local website (on the same computer) by using localhost address 127.0.0.1 in the address bar? It should show a message like Hello world!..... If it works try 127.0.0.1/the directory of the football pool?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

6burgh wrote:Are you able to connect to your local website (on the same computer) by using localhost address 127.0.0.1 in the address bar? It should show a message like Hello world!..... If it works try 127.0.0.1/the directory of the football pool?
Thank you for your advice. yes. I am able to connect to 127.0.0.1, and it show the welcome page.
I then put the pool folder in wwwroot folder, and connect to http://127.0.0.1/pool/userLogin.asp, however, it shows "The website cannot display the page".
I tried http://localhost/pool/userLogin.asp as well, doesn't work either.
Any idea?

Vincent
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

https://somee.com/default.aspx

A very reliable free server with a decent file manager.

Setup an account, upload the zip file, then unzip it in the file manager. good to go :)
6burgh

Post by 6burgh »

Adding ASP to IIS

Did you install ASP when you installed IIS?
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Stutgrtguy wrote:https://somee.com/default.aspx

A very reliable free server with a decent file manager.

Setup an account, upload the zip file, then unzip it in the file manager. good to go :)
Thank you for the info, I will try that. :)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

6burgh wrote:Adding ASP to IIS

Did you install ASP when you installed IIS?
yep, I did selected that and installed ASP.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I tried the somee server, it worked for me. really easy to set it up there. Thank you very much Stutgrtguy!
I have also used the 2015 schedule provided by 6burgh in the other thread, works perfect too. Thank you very much 6burg!
the server provides easy to use text/html editor in file manager, so I could do the amendment and study on it. brilliant!
tho, the way to set it up on localhost remains a mystery...for my further exploration. >.<
Thank you again everyone for your great help.

Vincent
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

we've used somee for about 5 years now. The first year I used the free service, The only thing I didn't like was the ad at the bottom of the page covered the live scoreboard, so we took a couple peoples entry fees to buy the pay service. I've been very happy with both services, and have never had any downtime. The only thing I don't like about the file manager is that you can't download from it. So I use explorer ftp if I need to download the database.

I still use the free address to do any testing on the site if I'm playing around with something new, before I load it to the pay address. So it works out

To make it easier for some of our non-computer savvy members I also got a free .tk domain name. 6 years there also no issues

http://www.dot.tk/
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thx for sharing Stutgrtguy!