ideas/mods

Post here to discuss topics relate to the 4.x version for the ASP Football Pool software program. All support topics should go here.
Bam

ideas/mods

Post by Bam »

If we can get a rolling topic going here with ideas or mods for NEXT season, I can work on them during the off season. I type and do things a little slower since the stroke so that should give me plenty of time to work on some things.

1.) Design a head to head system (like a fantasy league is run)
2.) A mobile version of the site (or an app).
3.) a "Whos Online" Showing usernames.
4.) a copy of the picks are emailed to user after initial picks and updated
Last edited by Bam on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"~~~ The Rock (Dwayne Johnson)
holgar

Re: ideas/mods

Post by holgar »

A mobile version of the site (or an app).
Bam

Post by Bam »

holgar wrote:A mobile version of the site (or an app).
added to list
"It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice"~~~ The Rock (Dwayne Johnson)
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

Id like to have a "Whos Online" Showing usernames.

I have a normal whosonline, but if people log off it bumps the count up, and doesnt actually show which users are on. So by the end of Sundays games my user count online is about 30, when we only have 15 people.
Bam

Post by Bam »

I will work on that, but normally it requirs a global.asa

I think I have an idea on how to do what you are asking without it. I'll add it to the list as well.
kingmullet

Post by kingmullet »

How about when a user submits their picks a copy of the picks are emailed to them as well.

Maybe some type of email template section too, one for picks reminder, updates and etc.
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

I have a global.asa file, buts just a generic deal i got off a snipit site somewhere
Bam

Post by Bam »

kingmullet wrote:How about when a user submits their picks a copy of the picks are emailed to them as well.

Maybe some type of email template section too, one for picks reminder, updates and etc.
There already is a mod to email a reminder for picks. There is not one for survivor picks.
I do like the idea of a copy being emailed though. Adding
raider_nation

Post by raider_nation »

I only run a survivor pool and I have a page that will display users who have not made a pick and give you the option to send them an email. I thought I posted it somewhere, but if someone wants it I can re-post it.

I would eventually want to be able to use mssql or mysql for the survivor pool. I did not run a pool last year, but I thought the sql version floating around only has the pick'em pool working. I haven't spent any time to see if I can update the survivor pool in that version to work. The main issue I have with the access db is that the survivor standings page takes longer to load with more users and the deeper you get into the season.
Bam

Post by Bam »

raider_nation wrote:I only run a survivor pool and I have a page that will display users who have not made a pick and give you the option to send them an email. I thought I posted it somewhere, but if someone wants it I can re-post it.
Please do. That would be one less thing to work on lol
raider_nation wrote: I would eventually want to be able to use mssql or mysql for the survivor pool. I did not run a pool last year, but I thought the sql version floating around only has the pick'em pool working. I haven't spent any time to see if I can update the survivor pool in that version to work. The main issue I have with the access db is that the survivor standings page takes longer to load with more users and the deeper you get into the season.
I am working on a mysql version. It seems to run really well with asp.
jhronesz

Post by jhronesz »

I have the functionality added to email players in both the pickem and survivor pool if they haven't turned in their picks. It required adding multiple queries in the database. I'll try to post that sometime soon. It doesn't work for week 1 of the year because they have to have an entry in the table before it thinks they are alive, but works for all weeks after that.
kingmullet

Post by kingmullet »

Bam wrote:
kingmullet wrote:How about when a user submits their picks a copy of the picks are emailed to them as well.

There already is a mod to email a reminder for picks. There is not one for survivor picks.
I do like the idea of a copy being emailed though. Adding

Any progress on this stuff?
Stutgrtguy

Post by Stutgrtguy »

Something Id really like to see is dropdownboxes for the teams on the updateSchedule.asp page, similar to the updatePlayoffsSchedule.asp page. We run 21 weeks on our pool, 17 regular plus 4 weeks for the playoffs/superbowl. That way it keeps our standings, stats etc in tact thru the end of the year. Drawback to this is editing teams and game times/dates in the DB during the playoffs. While the date and time can be changed from the updateSchedule.asp page the Teams cannot. I have to pick times when I know for sure no users are on to download, edit and upload the DB.

Also I have an extra team in the db called "TBD" which looks funny on some other pages, minor headache but nothing big. I know how to fix this, just havent had the time, so I took the easy way :roll:

Ive worked on this in the past and havent had any luck making it work. With my work schedule nowadays I really have no time to tinker anymore :evil:

~example from our current week "19" updateSchedule.asp page
example2.PNG
~example from next week "20" updateSchedule.asp page
example3.PNG
~example from the updatePlayoffsSchedule.asp page.
example.PNG
example.PNG (76.73 KiB) Viewed 10017 times
This would also make it really easy for people to edit their own schedules year by year, especially if they struggle with editing the DB, or exporting new schedules to their DB. I know it can be confusing if you've never worked with databases.